Picking a name for your small business can be like trying
to name your baby, after all, your business is like your baby and you want to make sure your best self is reflected in all aspects of it and a good strong name says a lot.
For some, the business naming process is a daunting task especially if you do not have the budget to hire a fancy naming company. I had the pleasure of doing this earlier this year and I honestly could not come up with a name that I felt strongly about so I went with a temporary
solution that is as obvious as white on rice about what I do; Small biz Marketing Consultant. The reason for my over simplified name was frankly to get my business going and to be obvious about what I do. It is my temporary solution until I find the right combination of words that truly describes me, my services and benefits.
Now, as I continue research naming my business, reading and learning many ways one can come up with a winning idea, I noticed the following strategies, tips and advice were consistent amongst many business owners. I’d like to share these with you, and would love to learn how you came up with your business name, so please feel free to comment.
5 strategies to use when creating your business name:
1. Conduct a domain name search for potential business names you are thinking about to ensure it is available and what versions of it you can use if the one you like is not available. www.godaddy.com is a great resource for this.
2. Use words from a different language that is easy to pronounce but has a unique brand building quality, chances are the domain name is also be available. However, you will have to put in extra effort in
educating and marketing the business name given its’ uniqueness.
3. Conduct a keyword search that includes words that potential consumers would use to find your business and find a clever way to include those words in your name.
4. Include words that describe exactly what you do in your business name. For example; XYZ Graphic Design Company.
5. Create a location base name. This is great if you specialize in servicing a certain area and consumers generally searching for your service by location.
Finally, keep in mind that naming your business can also be a huge hindrance from getting started, it is very important to have a solid name, but do not let it stop you from starting your business and making
money. There is always the opportunity to refine and adjust your name as you and your business evolve, so pick a useful name and get started today.
Tell me how you picked your business name in the comment section, along with any tips and advise.
Hi my name is Farzanah. I am a marketing pro with 10 + years of experience in marketing management and a busy mom dedicated to helping small business owners improve their marketing with copy writing that transforms their online visitors into taking action.