The other day I got an email from GROUPON and decided to browse through the must have 90% off deals and noticed a high number of fitness offers.
I thought wow, there are a lot of great classes and training sessions available at amazing prices and also wondered why these awesome small business owners are giving it away so cheap?
This is one area of the service business in my opinion that truly has something great to offer, with valuable marketing content to promote. After all it’s about taking care of your health, your life and well being.
Take me for example when I became a Mom, it was a life changing experience. Once I got home and settled in with baby, losing the pregnancy weight was a priority but of utter importance was staying healthy for my little one.
I am and was always into some form of physical activity, whether taking a spinning class or distressing with yoga I kept moving and enjoyed it.
After having my beautiful baby girl, my weight was slowly dropping but then I hit a wall like most do with a workout routine. My last stubborn 7 to 10 lbs would not go, I needed to change it up and find new inspiration.
So I did what most people do, I Googled it, work outs for post pregnancy weight, how to lose the last 10 lbs, how to get rid of baby fat and so on. I was looking for the best tips, and workouts that targeted my specific baby weight dilemma, I needed a new routine and was on the hunt to get rid my last 10.
My research was extensive, ranging from at home routines versus hiring a trainer, to DVD sets but finally I settled on a trainer. It was the best option for me and I knew I had gone as far as I could on my own.
My search paid off, upon selective googling, reading valuable information that pertained to me and my problem, I was able to make an informed decision with a few clicks.
For a fitness professional, what does this mean for you, let me give you my customer and marketing point of view. It means more business if you strategically use content marketing to help you target, find customers and deploy useful content seamlessly to increase your business on an ongoing basis.
How to do this? Let’s use me as an example. In my particular case, I am mom who wanted to get back into shape. Here is how you would approach your small business content marketing campaign to find me:
1. Define your objectives: this could be to increase your client base by 10% over the next 6 months. Make sure your objectives are quantifiable.
2. Target who you are talking to: define your target market by determining exactly who you want as your customer. In this case, we are targeting moms who are trying to lose baby weight or moms who need a new workout routine.
3. Research: find out where these customers are hanging out online and also take a look at what your competition is doing to attract them. For example to reach moms, you can target mom groups on social media – find one social media platform that they are most active on and focus on it, as it can be challenging to stay engaged with several platforms and groups. Another idea is to partner with a few mom blogs, provide complimentary sessions in exchange for advertising and referrals.
4. Deploy your message: now that you are clear on your target, and have researched where they are hanging out, you are ready to deploy your carefully crafted value driven messages (see ideas below) to attract more customers. Your message can be executed using your blog, social media posts, email messages, or through discussion topics where your customer hangs out online.
5. Measure your results: after all your hard work, make sure you measure your results. In addition to meeting your objective, you should make sure you are gathering emails, keeping track of your engagement on social media, and be sure to tweak and repeat what worked best.
For our mom example here are content ideas that can get you the almighty click. Include a downloadable e-book or a one page cheat sheet to earn email subscribers.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I hope you found these tips helpful and my passion for marketing your small business empowering. I spend a great deal of time researching and writing my posts, so please share and leave me a comment or question. I promise to write back. Thank you so much.
Hi my name is Farzanah. I am a marketing pro with 10 + years of experience in marketing management and a busy mom dedicated to helping small business owners improve their marketing with copy writing that transforms their online visitors into taking action.