Content Marketing seems like all the rage these days, but what does it really mean for the small business owner and how can you use it for your business? Before we get into the meat of things, let’s define content marketing, according to Content Marketing Institute,
“content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
For the small business owner, it means you need to get on board and figure out your content marketing strategy and start sharing your valuable expertise. This can seem overwhelming to some, but it does not have to be.
Content Marketing for the small business owner is simply giving your customers what they value from you: advice about an issue they are having, conversation when they enter your place of business, inspiration through sharing something positive or uplifting to brighten their day, education and any information you know they will find valuable. Your customers will thank you which can mean leads you can turn into sales. It is not a quick process, it is a long term commitment like any good relationship with a high potential for customer loyalty.
As a guideline here are 5 types of content you should share with your customers.
3. Inspirational: provide relevant motivational images, videos or a funny customer story. Use hi res images for motivational posts, I find these to be much more inspiring with a great quote.
4. Entertaining: everyone loves to be entertained, show a lighter side to your business by sharing a fun video you found online, however keep it as relevant as possible to your business, then again who doesn't love a good video of a cat chasing his tail.
1. Advice: give your target audience advice on a problem they may have, offer valuable solutions and ideas. Make sure you follow up with your advice, to see if the problem was resolved.
2. Educational: provide information where your customers are sure to learn something, this can be in the form of e-book,a simple cheat sheet with helpful tips and tricks or a how to information. This type of content depending on your business should be the bulk of your content marketing strategy. You can include some promotional information here, but keep it very limited.
5. Get personal: customers love reading personal stories, share something about you, like how you got started or a sneak peek into a new product/service you are working on.
For a detailed list of content ideas check out this link from QUICKSPROUT 15 types of content to drive more traffic.
I hope you find these tips helpful and please let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Hi my name is Farzanah. I am a marketing pro with 10 + years of experience in marketing management and a busy mom dedicated to helping small business owners improve their marketing with copy writing that transforms their online visitors into taking action.